FULL-LENGTH FEATURE: IN DEVELOPMENT
Amidst the turmoil of the American Revolution, a young & fiercely intelligent African woman in Massachusetts falls in love with a Harvard-educated minister and must fight for the right to live as she chooses.
Inspired by true events.
- Optioned by Boston-based producer Nerissa Williams Scott of TCGT Entertainment
- Strong Black female lead (20s) + supporting role for a Nigerian or U.S. character actress (50s)
- Producer selected for the PGA Create Lab/Fellowship with this project
- Roxbury International Film Festival: Daily Reads Selection
- 21st century political themes
- Eligible for Massachusetts production tax incentives
- Commitment to community (e.g. paid internships, inclusion rider, etc.)
- Budget & schedule available for review
Inspired by events that took place in the 1770s, DILL is the tale of an African teenager who has a life-changing love affair when slavery in Massachusetts was still considered the norm.
As the Revolutionary War begins in Gloucester, Dill’s quest for self-determination—and the right to love whom she chooses—is constantly being thwarted by personal and political issues.
When the fallout from her affair results in the trial of a local minister, Dill has a critical choice to make. It will take all of her strength and courage to achieve her dream of independence.
DILL is in an advanced stage of development. TCGT Entertainment is actively seeking equity investors and a seasoned co-production partner. The Script, Pitch Deck, Budget & Schedule are available for review.
Initial drafts of this script have received input from:
- Benny Sato Ambush: Boston theatre director & Artistic Director of the Venice Theatre
- Sherard Harrington: University of New Hampshire historian working with Dr. Kabria Baumgartner
- Professor Gloria Chuku: Igbo historian at the University of Maryland Baltimore County
- A private reading/workshop took place on May 25, 2020 with AEA actors, Scott, a Boston-based film editor, Ambush, and Harrington.
- A public reading of the first act with an actor talkback took place on June 22, 2021 at the Roxbury International Film Festival.